Saturday 15 March 2014

Landscape Drawing - Scenic Composition


















For the drawing above I was using the rule of thirds making the main focal point the hut. There are four main elements to this composition which are the picture area, depth, line and value. I have looked closely at the placement of each object in the drawing and decided how I was going to position myself. 

I made the focus on the hut so the lines of the drawing all came to that point on the page; this was using the golden mean. Your eyes move left to right. This was starting at the tree on the left moving down to the fence and then right to the hut. I felt this was very effective because the objects lead the eyes through the drawing.

I tried to create a sense of depth to the image with object placement clearly showing if an object was in front or behind. I included some background scenery such as bushes, however, I wanted to keep it simple so that the viewer's eye would be focusing on the hut. I used different tones to the drawing to give different feelings. I used charcoal as I thought this would be best for the drawing. This was because I could create different strengths of shading on the objects showing where the natural light was coming from. 

Overall I feel I have covered each of the 4 points and shown them clearly in the drawing in more than one way. Some things I would have improved however is more depth to the background. I do feel though I have used the rule of thirds and been successful in drawing the viewer's eye to the main focal point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment